Harmful Influence Of Your Own Home
Today many of problems with our health are connected with the houses we live in. Let’s look back to find out reasons for that. Do you know that in early 70-s during the energy crisis there was a great popularity of highly insulated “tight” houses. The reason was their potential to reduce energy paying bills.
However, in a few years people began to complain about their health, and excessive moisture issues, which were caused by indoor pollutants. They connected problems with moisture in these houses.
From the late 80s to early 90s, the quality of indoor air became a nationally recognized fact. Even today, modern houses, which are more energy-efficient seemed predisposed to the problem. Also, they retain more humidity and airborne pollutants, which causes longer life-spans, and more productive cycles of microbial activity within the house, for example, viruses, germs, bacteria and mold.
Many families suffered from the greater activity and concentration of these airborne agents, they became allergic and complained on sickness for longer periods of time.
Mold: a survivor
What is the reason of difficulty in controlling of the mold? Mold located at the bottom of the food chain. It is very small, grows up very quickly, and produces spores, volatile organic compounds, and other toxins. One little thing can give life to trillions of organisms in less than 3 weeks. If mold is in good conditions, it can occur anywhere; in buildings, schools, vehicles, houses, workplaces, entertainment centers and so on.
Mold likes the interior of your air conditioning equipment and ductwork, because it is ideal environment for its growth — especially in the air units inside drain-pan where it is dark, damp, and full with nutrients. In the result the great amount of mold is spread with the air over a swamp or through a sewer and then it enters your house, workplace and vehicle.
According to the WHO (World Health Organization), 60% of IAQ (Indoor Air Quality) allergies and problems with human health may be related to the influence of mold. Some IAQ diagnosticians and practitioners today admit that the number may be up to 80%. The increased usage of air conditioning units almost is directly parallel to the increase of allergies levels.
As bacteria and mold grow on drain parts and coils, they spread through the ducts to occupied areas. Some products of molds (toxins) produce serious reactions, which can cause in several cases health problems, for example pneumonia, asthma, hypersensitivity, allergy, and in some extreme cases even bleeding lung infection.
In addition, mold creates a troublous problem with maintenance. The result of mold’s activity is in dirty drain pans and coils, losses of heat exchange efficiency and air-flow and excessive use of energy.
U.V. Systems: Usage
The health of your house can be protected on the highest level with help of U.V. systems.
During the period of more than 65 years ultraviolet light in the “C” band (UVC) has been used to kill harmful microorganisms in laboratories, hospitals, pharmaceutical plants, barber shops, and at the nation’s Center for Disease Control. Residential ultraviolet devices have been independently checked and proved in their efficiency in the constantly moving air environments of cooling and heating units, killing bacteria and mold quickly and effectively. The UVC energy attacks DNA of the organism and either destroys it immediately or prevents it from multiplying.
The original motivation for installing the lights for most of us is to reduce amount of allergies and IAQ complaints. Nevertheless, it is also pleasant to find out that UV technology also eliminates many hidden odors.